Oracle's Jack Berkowitz joins Mark Rittman to talk about a new category of continuously adapting, self-learning applications being built-out by Oracle that use machine learning together with enterprise and third-party data to create a new generation of intelligent HR, CX, SCM and ERP SaaS apps.
Stewart Bryson returns to the show to join Mark Rittman to discuss new-world BI and data warehousing development using Google BigQuery and Amazon Athena, Apache Kafka and StreamSets, and talks about his experiences with Looker, the cloud-native BI tool that brings semantic modeling and modern development practices to the world of business intelligence.
Mark Rittman is joined by Maxime Beauchemin to talk about analytics and data integration at Airbnb, the Apache Airflow and Superset open-source projects he helped launch and now works with day-to-day at Airbnb , and his recent Medium article on "The Rise of the Data Engineer".
- "The Rise of the Data Engineer" blog by Maxime Beauchemin
- Apache Airflow
- Airbnb Superset
- "Engineers Shouldn’t Write ETL: A Guide to Building a High Functioning Data Science Department" blog by Jeff Magnusson
Mark Rittman is joined by Daniel Mintz from Looker to talk about BI and analytics on Google BigQuery, data modelling on the new generation of cloud-based distributed-data warehousing platforms, and Looker's re-introduction of semantic models to big data analytics developers.
Mark Rittman is joined in this episode by MapR's Tugdall Grall to talk about MapR's platform differentation and relationship with open-source Hadoop, scaling and streaming, microservices, and MapR's platform strategy around big data workloads in the cloud.
Mark Rittman is joined by Elastic's Mark Walkom to talk about Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash and the Elastic Stack; business models built-around an open-source software core; and their move into cloud services with Elastic Cloud
Mark Rittman is joined by Gartner analyst and ex-Oracle Database Cloud Service PM Rick Greenwald to talk about IT’s continuing (and essential!) role in corporate BI&DW deployments and the debate around Mode1 vs. Mode2 Analytics, how we got here, and the future of data warehousing database platforms as we move into the cloud.
Mark Rittman is joined by Alex Olivier from Qubit to talk about their platform journey from on-premise Hadoop to petabytes of data running in Google Cloud Platform, using Google Cloud Dataflow (aka Apache Beam), Google PubSub and Google BigQuery along with machine learning and analytics to deliver personalisation at-scale for digital retailers around the world.
Mark Rittman is joined in this Christmas & New Year special episode by none-other than Robin Moffatt, head of R&D at Rittman Mead and an old colleague from my consulting days, to talk about his experiences with Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR) for BI + Analytics and how "the devil's in the detail", and to hear his take on what happened in the BI and analytics world in 2016 and what to look out for in 2017.
ETL & Analytics Offload from Oracle to Amazon Web Services using Apache Spark, Redshift, and Presto
- Blog: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-5/
- Other four articles in series : https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-1 / https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-2-code-development-with-notebooks-and-docker// https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-3-running-pyspark-on-emr / https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/etl-offload-with-spark-and-amazon-emr-part-4-analysing-the-data)
Source Control and Automated Code Deployment Options for OBIEE
- Blog: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/12/source-control-and-automated-code-deployment-options-for-obiee/
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/rmoff/source-control-code-deployment-and-concurrent-development-for-obiee-12c
All You Ever Wanted to Know About OBIEE Performance…but were too afraid to ask
- Blog: https://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/2016/10/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-obiee-performance-but-were-too-afraid-to-ask/
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/rmoff/still-no-silver-bullets-obiee-12c-performance-in-the-real-world
Apache Kafka's Role in Implementing Oracle's Big Data Reference Architecture on the Big Data Appliance
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/rmoff/kafkas-role-in-implementing-oracles-big-data-reference-architecture-on-the-big-data-appliance
Analysing the Panama Papers with Oracle Big Data Spatial and Graph
Mark Rittman is joined by MapR's Neeraja Rentachintala to talk about Apache Drill, Apache Arrow, MapR-DB, extending Hadoop-based data discovery to self-describing file formats and NoSQL databases, and why MapR backed Drill as their strategic SQL-on-Hadoop platform technology.